3.03.2009

A penny saved...

Due to our economic crisis...I have been cut down to 4 days a week at my office for the time being...(and people thought I was crazy for working two jobs...thank goodness for that job right now)...

So, I find myself with a plethora of things to catch up on on Mondays. This Monday I decided to do some major grocery shopping. I usually just go to WalMart and don't worry about 'shopping the adds' at all the other stores. I figured Wal-Marts prices were the same or a little cheaper, and even if they were a little more expensive I would save money by just staying at one store. But, I wanted to see if it would be worth going to each store for their respective sales.

So, Sunday night I pulled out all the grocery adds that we get in the paper every week and made a list. I listed all the stores and under those stores I wrote down what sales they had that I should take advantage of. I also clipped the coupons they had for their stores. So, my list took up two pages...one side was the stores and their sales, and the other side was the list of stuff I needed for the next few weeks.

To make what I could make a long and detailed story a little shorter...I ended up saving $70.41 by shopping the sales and using a few coupons! That is a decent chunk of change! Thats almost 3 tanks of gas...or a credit card payment...or a nice purse (kidding...I would NEVER spend that much on a purse) And, I didn't buy silly things just because they were on sale...I got bags of cheese for $1...Morningstar meatless meat for $2.99 (normally $4)...cereal for $1.50...fresh asparagus for $.97/lb....frozen veggies for $1...all good and useful stuff.

So...I think I'm a convert to the sales adds...

11 comments:

Jessie said...

Kitten, way to be a saver! I would of never thought to do that with my day off. Good job! I am proud!

Jessie said...

Kitten, way to be a saver! I would of never thought to do that with my day off. Good job! I am proud!

Wilkerson Family said...

we're on the same page. i usually go to wal mart for all of my groceries and thought the same thing, just recently i've been shopping around. and by shopping around i really mean just comparing them to the local chain grocery store next door. i try to just shop once a week, but i've heard that it's cheaper if you go 3 times a month instead of 4. it's a little too convenient that wal mart is maybe 1/4 of a mile away if that. when it's nice outside we'll walk there if we need to make a quick trip, but somehow i always find more things that we “need” like cookies, chips, fruit etc...

tacy said...

Sweet! You should check out this blog
http://thebaileyfamdamily.blogspot.com/2009/01/bargin-shopper-extraordinaire.html
it is for intense bargain shoppers.

Anonymous said...

Grandma would be so proud! I remember every week grandma made a list from all the ads and we would go from store to store to get what they had on special. I really need to do more of that, I used to when you guys were little. Now maybe I will be inspired!

Christensen Kids said...

I need your email address or something :-)

Anonymous said...

What the hell is meatless meat?? It sounds disgusting.

Way to go on bargain shopping...

Anonymous said...

PS. I like your new blog color schemes a lot.

Sarah Harward said...

Way to go! One thing to remember is that WalMart will price match, so you can still go to just one store, tell them when you check out what the sell price is, and they'll give it to you for that price. I'm inspired to do better.

Unknown said...

I use to do that back whan I was young and full of energy. Now I just wish I did. Good for you!!!

Lisa and Dan said...

How do you do that? I guess we don't get the right mail, because there are never coupons worthwhile for me. So, I just spend a fortune on food because here in Rexburg, that's what it is. I'm happy for you though. That's amazing!