3.03.2009

Dear Cousin Jake...

To answer your question "What the hell is meatless meat?"...

To be technical... meatless meat is 'TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), WATER, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CHICORY ROOT FIBER (INULIN), YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, BLACK MALT POWDER, SALT, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, WHEAT), EVAPORATED CANE JUICE CRYSTALS, GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER, ONION JUICE CONCENTRATE, SPICES, TOMATO POWDER, CITRIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, IRON (FERROUS SULFATE), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), VITAMIN B12.'

See...my roomate is a vegetarian...therefore I find myself using Morningstar Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles as a replacement for ground beef whenever a recipe calls for that. I was extrememly hesitant at first...because I am very much a carnivor. Also, I despise beans and from what I had seen, alot of vegetarian 'burgers' were just a big pattie of mushed up black beans. So, the first time I used these in a recipe I was a little nervous. But, I can hardly tell a difference. I've used it in chili (beanless of course), baked spaghetti, tacos, lasagna...pretty much anything I would use ground beef for.

The only thing that really bugs me is that anytime a recipe calls for groud beef it calls for a pound...but this bag of meatless meat comes in 12 oz. Not the end of the world of course, but it would be nice if it came in a pound size bag rather than 3/4 of a pound.

That is my only complaint though...

FYI: Morningstar Farms does have meatless chicken strips, bacon, sausage patties, and whole slew of other meatless meat products.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could be a spokesperson for Morningstar Farms. Maybe they will see this blog (like Extreme Pita did) and send you something free!

JHayes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JHayes said...

I think it's admirable that you are so accommodating to the culinary cravings of your censorious compatriot (like my alliteration? I had to bust out the thesaurus to get 'censorious' though:) but just once, has it ever crossed your mind to dump 3/4 of a pound of greasy, bloody ground beef into a Morningstar Farms pouch and say "Who wants spaghetti?"

Anonymous said...

Aww, a blog post just for me? Pure tenderness.

For the record, I'm still a little skeptical of the idea. I don't know that I'd be as accomodating as you are.

Lots of love...

Jessie said...

Interesting...yet kind of gross...

C.lee Rand said...

Wow!...Katie...I haven't checked your blog for a while so I was surprised at the new look. I like it.

I'm intrigued by the meatless meat concept. Have been for years. I'm also mystified by the apple pie recipe made without apples. It's a Ritz Crackers thing. Anyway, I'm anxious to try this MorningStar product because I have been a big fan of "chicory root fiber" ever since the sixties. Do you think it would work in a burrito format?