2.06.2009

It can't only be Thursday...

I feel like it has been an eternity since my last blog...
I've been trying to think how to post my recent blog because I think sometimes I get too wordy when I tell stories...so I'm going to try to do it chronologically...

Monday 8:30ish: I'm having my usual chat with my mom on my drive into Phoenix. She tells me that dad has been off of work for a week or so with a bad headache and dizziness. They thought it was an ear infection...but the doctor said it wasn't and that it would pass. She said it hadn't passed so they were going to go to his regular doctor (who was out of town for the first doctor visit) and see what they could do about it.

Monday 12:15: My mom calls me and says that Joe (his doctor) called the Neurologist over in Quincy and he said to bring my dad in right away and admit him to the hospital. They weren't sure exactly what was wrong, and they were going to run a bunch of tests. She told me to call my sisters and let them know. Not fun...

Monday 4:45: My mom calls and lets us know that the results of one of the tests shows that he is bleeding in between his brain and his skull. They were going to do an MRI in the morning and see how bad it is and what they should do about it.

Tuesday morning: My mom says the neurologist came and said that he is actually bleeding in two spots and that they would know more after the MRI.

Tuesday 4:45: She call and says that there are two clots in his head...one is considerably large and the other is not small. They are definitely going to need to do surgery to remove the clots. He tells her they will have to shave his hair. He also says that he is amazed at how well physically my dad is doing. For someone with the clots the size that he has he should of been in extreme agony or probably passed out.

Tuesday between 5-11:30: All of my extremely supportive friends (some of whom are going through their own family medical drama) are telling me I need to go home. We go out to eat then come back to my house to look at plane tickets. I don't call my mom to ask because she will talk me out of it.

Tuesday midnight: My friend Whitney books my plane ticket to leave the next day and come back March 11th.

12:01: Whitney is on the phone with Frontier airlines moving my ticket from March 11th to February 11th. Oops.

Wednesday 11:30: my flight leaves Phoenix.

Wednesday 6:23: I arrive in St. Louis where Nathan picks me up and we head towards the hospital.

Wednesday 9:00: We arrive at the hospital where I surprise my mother and she just keeps saying over and over "I can't believe your here. You just paid off your credit card and this couldn't have been cheap. You can't afford to be here."

Wednesday 9:30: my mom is adjusted to the idea that I am here, we visit my dad for a while. He is bald and has tubes coming out of his head with icky drainage coming out of them. Quite a sight.

Nothing much after that. We spent the night in a hotel and I came home this afternoon (Thursday) . My mom showered and went back up with a friend and I stayed home...finished taking down Christmas decorations (yes...it's true...but we'll give my dad a break since he was bleeding in his head and everything)...did my brothers and his wife and her nephews laundry...and just cleaned and stuff.

Tomorrow I am going to go to my dads work and make sure none of his plants are dead then I'll probably head up to Quincy.

Just writing this blog has exhaustified me. I'm going to bed.

9 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

First of all, I'm dying to see a picture of your dad bald. When I was telling Steven about all of this he thought the idea of your dad bald was fascinating! Second, that's funny that you were booked to come back on March 11th instead of Feb 11th. Did they charge you to fix that? And lastly, why in the world are you doing Nathan and his families (and extended families) laundry? Good thing you're there, or your whole family would be falling apart! I really wish you were there under better circumstances though, then I'd come visit!!

Wilkerson Family said...

that's scary. I hope that your dad gets better soon. I'm happy that you get to spend time with them and keep everything under control. You'll have to keep us
updated on everything... Molly turns 2 on March 11. I can't believe that's next month.

Laura said...

You are the best. Can I adopt you?

JHayes said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Katy. Please tell your dad "hello" for me that that our family will have him in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the detailed update. We all know kinda what's going on but that helped a lot. Marty worked with your dad on Saturday and said he looked terrible and that he should go see a doctor. On Monday afternoon we heard an ambulance and my husband made me call your Mom and check on your dad. I was shocked to hear they were in the emergency room, he wasn't who the ambulance was for but I never thought he was, I was just humoring my husband because everyone knows your dad never gets sick. Needless to say we have all been worried and praying for him and all of your family. We love you more than I think you realize.

tacy said...

You left off Nathan's birthday dinner at Arby's.

Anonymous said...

I know it has been hectic for you, and I know this puts you back financially, but you will never know how grateful I am that you came. You have not only been a help with things as home, but emotionally as well. Thank you! I love You!

Christensen Kids said...

Man you have been busy! You make me laugh I love reading all your posts.That is scary with your dad but I am glad to hear he is ok, and I think it was way fun you were able to suprise your mom, I'm sure she loved that!

Alayna said...

Oh my goodness! I hope everything is ok! You and your family will be in my prayers.