1.22.2009

It just occured to me...

I love to read books. I sort of sound like a corny library poster when I talk about reading...but I seriously think it takes you to a whole different world. I realized this morning that I haven't read a book since the 4th Twilight book came out...and I am in need of some good reading.

So I am asking for suggestions. Preferably something not in the teen romance genre (since...if I think about it...the last 5 books I read were the Twilight books and The Host), but if the book you were going to recommend falls into that category and I absolutly must read it, then I will.
And, since I am a giving person...if there is anyone out there who is also in need of a good read, here are my recommendations:

Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn - This is an extremely quick read. It's written in letter format. It's about an island that worships the man who came up with the pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." They have a statue of the man and the phrase above him and one by one the letters fall off of the statue. The elders of the island decided that means that they should stop using those letters. And, as they characters stop using those letters, the author stops using them in the book. This is a very clever book, and like I said, it is super quick too.


The Innocent Man, by John Grisham - His first non-fiction book, and a very good one too! I couldn't stop reading this! It is about a man who is accused of murder in a small town in the 70's I think. This was a really really good book!

The Alienist, by Caleb Carr - This is sort of a pre-CSI forensic science book. I think it takes place in the late 1800's. Very good.


Return from Tomorrow, by George C. Ritchie - This is about what George Ritchie experiances when he dies for 9 minutes. Very good...it really makes you think. Also, a very quick read. This probably isnt' even 100 pages long.

7 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

I recently read some Shannon Hale books. ('Book of a Thousand Days'; 'The Princes Academy') I though the book of a thousand days was really good. The princess academy was good also, but I would read the book of a thousand days first. I LOVE the main characters in these books. They're good people who make you want to be better. I'll think about this more then get back to you. We should start a blog book group!!

Casey said...

I just finished Cheaper by the dozen. I was hesitant to read it because although I liked the movie I didn't want to waste time reading the same thing. I found to book to be hilarious and caught myself telling everyone the stories from it. Are you on good reads? Amanda

Anonymous said...

Ok, you know I love to read...but right now I can't remember anything. I just got done reading Marley & Me. It was very fun to read, lots of good stories. I am now reading Mansfield Park by Jane
Austen. This is my 3rd Austen book in a row, and I can't believe how much I really like her. I will look over some of the things I have read and let you know. Jamie has a book list on her blog, but I don't know if I have ever read any of the books on it.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the middle of reading Inkheart and its pretty good...its a juvenial book but no romance stuff. The movie comes out tomorrow.

tacy said...

Man's Search for Meaning by... it slipped me, something German I think... is a good book. Well the first half at first, the second half is all about psychology but the first half is wonderful.
Also...War and Peace

tacy said...

ps? I'm 100% surprised at! How many people came to the defense. Of jessie's grammar in. Your last blog?

Unknown said...

I use "Good Reads" it helps me find my next favorite books. I just read Royal Target by Traci Hunter Abramson. It was an easy read and different from anything I have read so far. It's one Gerri Pack lent me to read.I have not read anything GREAT since the twilight books and OH! I liked Brisingr the 3rd book of the Eragon series. :) Thanks for the list of books you recomended. Try Goodreads it's helpful http://www.goodreads.com/