12.02.2008

A long time coming...


I apologize for taking so long to get this recipe up...I thought I was going to get a power cord for my computer but ended up not getting one (that's another blog) and so I'm still blogging inbetween projects at work for the moment.
So...here is the recipe for Vegetarian Vegetable Soup...and it is SO GOOD! I have always wanted to be a really good soup maker, but all the ones I've tried have ended up extremely blah tasting. No flavor. But this one is so so so good...
2 TBS e.v.o.o. (I'm poor so I used canola oil)
1 large onion
6 cloves of garlic (I probalby used more than that)
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1 lb. frozen mixed veggies
3 oz. tomato paste
3-4 diced red potatoes
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder (all I had was onion salt and that worked)
2 boullion cubes (I used vegetable boullion, but that stuff is freakin expensive...so if you don't need vegetarian friendly food...you can just use chicken boullion or beef I'm sure)
a splash of vinegar
1 TB parsley (I didn't have this and it was fine without it)
4-8 oz dried pasta (I used alphabet pasta)
2 qts. water
In a 4 qt. soup pan, heat oil, garlic, onion and spices over medium heat or until you can smell them. Add frozen veggies, potatos, boullion, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil for several minutes. Then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Then add vinegar, parsley and pasta and more water if neccesary. Simmer for 15 minutes, then cover and let simmer for 20 more minutes.
I did not add more water....I just used the 2 qts....and I also probalby added alot more pasta then it required because I've had my alphabet past for a long time and I was so excited to finally use it. Therefore...my 'soup' wasn't very 'soupy'. There wasn't a whole lot of broth...which I was compltely fine with. So, if you wanted broth with your soup...add more water when it says to...or just don't go overboard with the noodles.
I cooked up some breadbowls and served the soup in those...and it was scrumdidleleeumcious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. I have been in the mood to make a really good soup, so maybe I will try it (although I may have to wait until Tacy is gone cause she hates soup).

tacy said...

It does sound good in theory. and by in theory I mean if it wasn't a soup I'd probably eat it.

Sarah Harward said...

First of all, how in the world can Tacy hate soup?!?! That's insane!! Second of all, YUMMY! I'm excited to try it!

Jennie said...

Tis the season for soup! Too bad I am the only one in the family that eats soup or I might try this. Hope all is going well for you.