4.28.2009

It is my calendar after all...

The other day I needed to write something on my calendar at work for May 4th. But...oddly enough...that day was already filled with these random...yet obviously caldendar worthy...holidays:

May Day (NT,AU)
Labour Day (QLD,AU)
Dodenherdenking (NL)
Early May Bank Holiday (IRL,UK)
Green Day (JP)
The entire box was filled up to the top with these foreign holidays. I'm sure that the Early May Bank Holiday is really important in Ireland, but is it necessary to put on a calendar that will be sold world wide?
I suggest it isn't.
(Dodenherdenking is "held annually on May 4 in the Netherlands. It commemorates all civilians and members of the armed forces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who have died in wars or peacekeeping missions since the outbreak of World War II." Thank you wikipedia...)

4 comments:

mom said...

You point out that the calendar is being sold "world-wide", so why wouldn't they put all those holidays on there? If I bought a calendar in Ireland and it had only U.S. Holidays on it, I wouldn't be happy. What they should do is print "country-specific" calendars...which I am sure they do, you just have to not get generic ones meant for the whole world.

Wilkerson Family said...

That's funny :) And so is your mom's comment. Drew started giving plasma again and I think of your mom every time he goes. ahhh. Something along the lines of Katy if you need money don't sell your body we can help you :) Good Times!

I saw on the morning news that Hugh Jackman was in Tempe the other day to promote his new movie. I said to Drew I wonder where in Tempe. Then I saw the big Tempe Market Place sign in the background and got excited because I know exactly where that is. Did you get to see that? Isn't one of your jobs in the market place?

Sarah Harward said...

First of all, I'm very glad that you put the meaning behind the Netherland holiday Dodenherdenking. Second of all, I've never had a calendar with holidays from all those other countries on it. And third of all, please tell you mom that I didn't purposefully not see her when we were in Nauvoo. I would have loved to stop in and see her, but it seemed like when we were out and about the kids were either screaming their heads off, or the shop was closed and I felt like it would be rude to bombard her at home. But I did think about and want to see them while we were there! Okay, I think that's it.

tacy said...

I feel really bad that my comment won't be half as long as your first three, but when the first three are a novel what do you expect? Does it have random peoples birthdays on the calendar? That is when it gets really weird.