3.24.2008

Living Beautifully...Occasionally...

This is an article I found in a Mary Engelbreit magazine and it describes exactly how I feel...so I am sharing it with everyone. It is by June B. Lands.

Every once in a while, I love to read magazine articles that tell me how to live a serene, gracious life. Usually a photograph shows the author of said article lounging amidst creative clutter, pets dozing at her feet. I long to be that person.
I want to have a potted orchid sitting on a stack of well-worn books, to prop my elbow on table turned desk that I just painted a delightful shade of eggplant, to toss paper clips in adorable vintage teacups that I discovered in some out-of-the-way little shop.

My sister Glenda is that kind of person. She places baskets of seasonal potpourri at the pulse points of her home, gathers Queen Anne's Lace from a lazy country road and puts it into an old Ball fruit jar near her cookbo
oks, and greets each new morning in a bright floor-length robe - not baggy sweats and a t-shirt. There's no plastic
margarine container on her table; butter nestles in a cut glass bowl. There are no sticky jelly jars; marmalade is served in a footed dish.

For my recent birthday, Glenda gave me a book about how to live a beautiful life. "You need to spend more time honoring yourself by beautifying your surroundings," she advised. I read and re-read the book, which was like getting a while year's worth of self-improvement articles between two lavishly photographed covers. It inspired me to reach toward my higher self, a self hiding somewhere beneath the baggy gray sweat pants.

So I bought fresh flowers for the dining table. I rearranged the linen closet and tucked lavender between cool cotton sheets. My husband and I used festive cloth napkins at
each meal. I wrote letters on pretty note cards instead of recycled computer paper, and used cologne every day even if I was only going to the library. I even polished my silver.

My wake-up call came when I was on a deadline for an article while trying to nurse my husband and myself through a nasty bout with the flu. Cologne soon gave way to Vick's Vaporub; scones on good china were replaced by a dried-out turkey sandwich on a plain paper plate, scarfed down as I stared at the computer screen and tried to find a place to set my plastic water bottle but couldn't because my coffee mug and crumb-littered napkin from breakfast were in the way.

It wasn't beautiful, but it was me.

A couple of days later when the worst was over (and the article turned in), I emailed Glenda to tell her how much I was enjoying the 'living beautifully' book. "I'm soaking in a lavender-scented bubble bath and after that I am going to buy myself an orchid in a pot," I wrote. "It will look divine atop that pile of books artfully stacked on the floor." It will, too...if I ever get around to vacuuming up all the dog hair.

2 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

AMEN! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to be that way too (like my sister), but unfortunately I lack the talent to make 'normal' things look elegant and the energy to clean up all the other clutter in order to have 'artful clutter'. You, however, inherited the talent part from your dad and the clutter part from me, so you can make regular clutter look 'artful'!