3.17.2008

A little of this, a little of that...

Today I don't have very much to say, but I feel the need to keep my blog current (unlike some other blogger friends of mine...i.e. Candace and her 'Pre-Christmas Wishes' and Jake with 'Obama 08' - but do go to his page and look at that 'Yes We Can' video. I like it a lot) So, I am just writing for the pure joy for writing.
I have discovered a new favorite thing. Indexing. It sounds boring and old ladyish, but I truly love it. I am not very good at explaining what it is and why we do it, so if you are truly intrigued (and I don't know why you would be by this blog because it is anything but intriguing unless you know you love the same things I do ...(Sarah)... and then you might be intrigued.) you can check out www.familysearchindexing.org and it will explain it all. Basically you are helping to digitize tons and tons of written records. So, you download this application thing (as seen on the left) and then it uploads 'batches' which are I think 50 names. Each batch looks different and are from different eras and places. You basically just type down what is written on the scanned in photo. I think of it as a big word puzzle. The writing is usually really hard to read so I like to have my mom close by (she can verify that I'm sure since it annoys her to no end) so she can confirm if what I think is an 'e' really is an 'e' or if it is more like an 'o' or possibly an 'a'. It's tricky, but I love it. It is so so so easy to get started. Just check out that website.

3 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

I'm totally going to do this! I'm not quite sure if I understand what it is, but I've really wanted to start doing something with family history/genealogy, so this is a way to at least get my feet wet!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Are you playing me or what? I have been slacking though... I'll have something up TODAY!!

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

Okay...I took a family history class in college and we had to index only like 10 names. One day,I sat there and did like 100 because I enjoyed it so much. I haven't really had time to do it again because I thought that you had to go to a FH Center and use the big microfiche slides. I am excited to know that I can do it at home now!