11.02.2008

Trick or Treat...



I am sorry it took me so long to get these online for everyone...and the picture quality isn't good on some of the pictures....they look good on my camera...just not the slideshow...weird...

So let me sum up the week for you. I flew in on Saturday morning and when I got to the airport Tacy had made a ridiculously cute sign that said "Boo to you Katy Poo" and was waving it for all to see. I whipped my camera out to take a picture...and it was BROKEN! Which is OK because it was pretty old. Luckily I had gotten a bonus at work the day before so I had a little extra money to buy a new camera...so I did. Saturday night I got to eat at La Casa Salsa...which is the yummiest Mexican food ever. Me, Tacy, Sophie and Shannon went.

Monday I went to Wal-Mart and got my new camera...then in the afternoon we went to pick up the pumpkins. The scary thing was...about an hour before we were going to leave the farmer who gives us the pumpkins called and said that we probably should only bring 1 ton truck (instead of the usual 2 tons trucks and a flat bed trailer) because he didn't think he had anything to give us because he crop was so awful this year. Well...needless to say we went anyway with 1 ton and 1 flat bed and two pickup trucks and we managed to get about 350 pumpkins. Not the usual 5 or 6 hundred...but they were fine and it turned out well.

We spent all day Tuesday and Wednesday just drawing the designs and faces on all the pumpkins. It was my dad, me, Kathy Schoeni, Janene Dean and Sister Mecham who did the drawing. Oh, Tacy did do two cute dinosaurs as well. Thursday and Friday we continued to draw but had the volunteer carvers and cleaners down there as well. It went very smoothly and I think we had the best carvers this year than we've had in a long time. I can't think of any pumpkin that didn't turn out because of a reckless carver.

Saturday we spent the morning getting the streets set up and all that stuff...then at about 6 we lit the pumpkins and the parade started and it was just really fun! We had a professional auctioneer come in and auction off the 30 biggest and best pumpkins and that was a lot of fun to watch.

My boss and his wife have decided to go out next year for the pumpkin walk because I talk about it so much. They are already making the plans (I hope I can still get off work too! I didn't think about that!)

All in all it was a super fun week and I am so glad I got to go home for it. Especially since I work part-time retail and getting off for Thanksgiving and Christmas is nearly impossible.
One sad thing was that my best friend Sarah was going to come over from Indiana for the weekend but she is crazy hormonal because of her pregnancy and she thought she was going to die and her children would become helpless little foster children so they stayed home. (Sarah you know I love you and I am just giving you a hard time.)

I got home and a couple of days later me and Ashlie made some adorably cool Halloween sugar cookies. The most disappointing thing was I hardly got any trick or treaters on Trick or Treat night. And of the few that I did, about half of them didn't even have costumes on! Lame...I only gave those kids 1 piece of candy and I gave the kids who dressed up 3 pieces.....

So, that was my Halloween....

7 comments:

tacy said...

how did you make brown frosting?

Anonymous said...

Very good blog. The pictures were fun! As you know, I didn't get to see much of anything that night, so seeing your pictures was great! I am impressed with your cookies...I asked Tacy, 'When did dad make cookies?!' I am so glad to you got to come home for it all! How fun that your boss wants to come!

Sarah Harward said...

Pictures look great! And I'm not offended in the least, because unfortunatly, I am a crazy hormonal pregnant person. So sad, but true!

Alayna said...

Welcome back! Glad you had fun. I had no idea that you made all the pumpkins for the pumpkin walk. Very impressive.

Wilkerson Family said...

Sweeet...The pumpkin walk looks way cool. When is it??? I'll have to tell my parents about it. They like visiting Nauvoo in October, you know the off season...

Unknown said...

I love that you posted all of those pictures. There is so much about the pumpkin walk that nobody gets to see. Come back home again SOON!

Adventures In The Land Of Hahl said...

katy - we found your blog through laura skogs blog and we've been stalking you!!! thanks for posting the pumpkin walk. larry really misses being a part of it. hopefully some year we will get home for it so the kiddos can see how cool it is! take care!