11.17.2008

A New Look At Life...

(WARNING: I have a problem when telling stories...and that is I get a little wordy. It happens if I'm writing a story or verbalizing a story...sometimes the details are important...and sometimes not)




I have two jobs as most of you know. I work full time for Metering Services (and I love it) and then I work part time for Lane Bryant (and I mostly love it)...

A few weeks back we were told at Lane Bryant that they were going to be issuing paycheck cards and that your paychecks would just be depoisted into that rather than given to you in a check form (I sure hope their rationalization for this wasn't to save paper because they still send us a fake checks saying the money was deposited elsewhere) If you didn't want the paycheck card...you needed to sign up for direct deposit. Since I pay my bills and stuff through my checking account and I still rely on some of my Lane Bryant money to cover bills...I got my direct deposit form filled out and turned in promptly.



The next paycheck we recieved was still in paper form. Then, during that week we all recieved the paycheck card...even those who have direct deposit got the card...so I just thought they sent it to everyone. I had turned in my direct deposit a few weeks earlier....so I assumed the next check I got would be going into my checking account.



So I went home to Nauvoo...paid some bills...bought things, just the normal things...and then I come home and pay a few more bills...got paid again at Lane Bryant...got the paper check thing in the mail and I also got a notice from my bank saying I had an overdraft fee...
To make a long story short (since I haven't even gotten to the point of this blog) I had assumed that those two checks would be in my checking account and they weren't...so I bounced...a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff. So...I am very much negative in my checking account right now and I don't get paid till Wednesday (this has been going on for about a week now)...

So needless to say I have been living the frugal life. No grocery shopping...no eating out...no treats...no $1.00 Dr. Peppers from McDonalds...and let me tell you that I think going from having money to having negative money is like quitting Pepsi. I had spending withdrawls. After my first few overdraft notices and I had a little breakdown about how I wasn't going to be able to buy anything for while...all I could think about was shopping. Everything I ever thought I needed was on my brain...new shoes...new work pants...gas...food...new pillowcases...more food...christmas presents...It was all I could think about.

But, I am here to tell you that I made it over the hump. I survived the worst. I am in the clear. I am living the frugal life ... and.... I sort of like it! I brought left overs these past few days at work and I feel a sort of satisfaction as I eat my re-heated lasagna that I am saving myself 6 or 7 dollars a day by eating those leftovers!

And...to top this all off...I have made some new life goals. I decided I wante to have my Chase card, my Old Navy card, my Lane Bryant card and my school loan all paid off by the time I turn 27. And...the only way to do that is to be frugal...but the idea of being free from those debts is worth 1,000 reheated lunches.

Let's just hope this all 'sticks' once I get a couple paychecks in the bank.

7 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

I swear it seems like 'the man' is screwing you over left and right! I'm glad you've got it all worked out though. Good luck being frugal. It's funny how things that are so satisfing when you live them, are so hard to live!

Anonymous said...

It is a really good idea to live frugally. What have we been told in almost every General Conference...live within your means! Now you are finding out what things are really necessities and which are just 'wants' and 'nice-to- haves'. Just think, $6 a day would be $30 a week or $120 a month. That money could go into savings for things that are really worthwhile. Stick to your goal...it will be SO worth it!

Anonymous said...

Also, I am so proud that you handled the situation so maturely. I didn't even know you were having a problem, except for one little comment you made about getting your Lane Bryant paycheck in a card instead of actual money. Some people would have called home and said "Help! Bail me out!" My buttons are popping...! (do you even know what that means?)

Alayna said...

Money sucks! I am trying to live frugally as well...and it is hard. I completely understand the strong desire to shop once you decide to stop spending. I am still struggling with it. I hope to get to the point you are at now very soon! Thanks for inspiring me!

tacy said...

well i'm proud. i was reading though and i thought "idiot! you are 27!"

Wilkerson Family said...

they're paying you with a card? How does that work? once you get the card can you put that money in the bank? hmmmm.

Sorry about the overdraft fees. That has to be scary. I'm happy that things got cleared up. Good luck on budgeting!

Anonymous said...

OOOH I know how you feel...My account has been negative for awhile...so I got another job Life sucks...You will eventually get out of the negative (atleast that is what I tell myself)...best of luck