8.10.2011

I got a pickle, I got a pickle, I got a pickle hey hey hey hey...

I finally got around to doing something I've been wanting to do for a while now!  Canning!!!  Do you call it canning even when it's in a jar, not  can?  I will...

I have been wanting to become a canner for a while now, and my sisters even got me some canning supplies for Christmas!  Anyway...long story short...I finally got to do some yesterday!  It is quite the process...I started cutting up the stuff around 9:30, and by the time I hear the last lid 'pop' it was about 5:00!  There is a lot of waiting time though...but it is something you have to dedicate a whole day for!

Here are some pictures of my experience...


 I used a recipe that has been in Judy's (my mother-in-law's) family for a while!  She says her grandma used it, and her mom, and her...so she was happy to have me making it yesterday!  And I was so thankful she was around because I had no idea what I was doing!  But now I know the importance of sterilization, head space, and water baths...

Anyway...so now I'm on the lookout for new things to can!  Right now there are a lot of 'pitted' fruits for really cheap at the cheap produce store I go to...so if anyone has any good canning recipes for peaches or plums (can you can plums?) or really any other good canning recipe at all...then feel free to send it on over! 


5 comments:

mom said...

They look beautiful!!! I am so proud of you. Yes, it is still called 'canning' even in a jar. I will find grandma's stewed tomatoes recipe. What about corn or green beans? You know you can do pickled green beans. You know Ruth cans everything...chicken, beef, beets, peaches, every kind of vegetable and all kinds of jam. You could make your own salsa....the possibilities are endless. Did I say how proud I am of you?

Sarah Harward said...

WAY TO GO!! I think it's so rewarding. I spent the day yesterday shucking, and processing a ton of free corn we got. It was messy and long, but so nice to have all that corn stored away for later!!

tacy said...

Yay! I'm glad you actually used the canning stuff we got you for Christmas. I thought it might turn into one of those presents that just sits and collects dust...actually I'm pretty sure there is still a present sitting in the parent's living room where the tree used to be that is untouched. Hmmm...

Jillian said...

Yum yum yum! I'd love to try something you can!! Good job! I saw on Facebook that those were bread and butter pickles - my fave! I hope you enjoy them and become a master canner!!!

Miss Sue said...

ooh I'm a creeper! Love Canning and I just started too! I have a cool recipe for fridge dill pickles...Yum! and Chicken is super easy and tatse way better then the can stuff from like costco, much better texture and all! have fun with your Molly Mormon adventure!! sue roberts!