9.22.2010

a couple stories...


A few days ago me and Daron went to P.F. Changs after going to the temple and here is what our fortunes were:
Mine: Your sense of adventure will lead you on a great vacation.
Darons: You will do well to take a vacation travelling to the west.
Funny huh!
In other news I don't think I ever wrote about the drama that was moving out of my house in June! Well...the moving part wasn't the drama...it was trying to get our deposit back that was such an issue!
It all started at the final walk through with me, Jillian and our landlord Beth the day after we had all moved out. We walked through the house and she pointed out a few things that were broken and that would be deducted from our deposit, there were about 5 or 6 things and it was looking to be a few hundred dollars...and at the end right before we all left she says "And I just want to tell you girls that I really hope you don't do to other landlords what you did to me. You are the filthiest girls and it was just disgusting in here every time I came over." (if you know me you are probably thinking that there was a good possibility that that was true...but if you knew Jillian you would know that our house was never disgusting...and even I wouldn't let it get disgusting...I just let my room get cluttered sometimes) So we were like...um...ok... and then we left...FUMING of course. So a few days later we get an email informing us that we weren't going to be getting anything back because of the cost of everything...and she included a list of the deductions and one of them was a $3100 carpet replacement!!! We were FURIOUS because the carpet was just fine when we left! So we asked for copies of the receipts of course.... A few days later we get an email with ONE receipt scanned in and it was for the carpet replacement... After looking the receipt over for a little while it just didn't seem quite right. So we looked closer and it turns out she ALTERED the receipt! It was actually an ESTIMATE from 2008!!!! You could see where she had whited out the dates and then photocopied it again with a date of July 2, 2010 over one of the spots...which you could tell was a different font and size...and she forgot to white out one of the smaller dates that said 2008 on it.
So, we informed her that if she did not provide an actual receipt for the carpet replacement as well as the other receipts then we would be taking legal action.
Needless to say...after weeks of going back and forth with emails and her sending over new lists with new deductions and different prices (included air conditioning replacement, a new garbage disposal, and a bunch of other made up stuff that she never actually did)...we did sue her. And we won! We didn't get it all back like we were hoping...but we got a good chunk back...
And I have to give a shout out to my former roommate Jillian...who did all of the filing and the organizing and the submitting of everything to court! It wouldn't of happened without her!

4 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

What a SCUM BAG landlord!! SHEESH! That is so insane! I'm so glad you guys won. I've been getting more and more excited about coming to Nauvoo for your wedding in a couple weeks! I'm actually going to call my mom today to make some plans (like when we're leaving and stuff) I wish I could come out the entire week (or two) before the wedding just to spend time with you, but with Landon's school, I'm not sure I'd be able to swing that! I'll let you know the details of when we're coming and stuff when we figure it all out.

Daron Wilson said...

Would you have blabbed about the landlord if you LOST!!!

mom said...

I don't think you can call it 'blabbing'! That is like calling them "tattletales" because she told what happened. I am so glad you guys stood up for yourselves. It is too bad you can't post a warning to anyone who may be thinking of renting from her.

Jillian said...

THANKS FOR THE SHOUT OUT!!! I still get pissed whenever I think about it - I don't know how we didn't win it all back. BUT it is also entertaining and hilarious to think about how much of a moron she is. I will gladly post all details pertaining to this case (lord knows I have a buttload of information all organized). JUST KIDDING. But seriously.