2.28.2012

Politics...YUCK...

This is not a political blog...I am not a political person...and I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to any of this.  I am basically updating my blog for my mothers sake...and this is the only 'thing' I've done recently outside of the grocery store and my office.


So I voted today.  I've been trying to stay better updated on all the political stuff that's going on...but I'm REALLY bad at it.  My problem is I JUST DONT' GET IT!!  I listen to debates and 99% of what they are talking about goes right over my head.  But I believe that exercising my right to vote is important...even if I'm not sure it makes a difference at all.

I've tried to seriously consider who I wanted the republican party to have as their candidate, so I could cast a 'knowledgable' vote this morning.  I knew I didn't want Newt Gingrich...because there is something about his face that seems sneaky and it drives me crazy to look at him.  I didn't know anything about Rick Santorum, I had never heard his name until just a few weeks ago when all of the sudden he was putting up a fight in Iowa.  Ron Paul was someone I remember my sister mentioning a few years ago...we knew someone who had a 'RON PAUL' bumper sticker and I asked her who he was and she said he was a crazy guy who ran for office that thought America was to blame for Sept 11th.  So naturally I didn't like him anymore...( because my political knowledge usually stops at what my sister tells me, But she doesn't hardly talk to me anymore so I've had to go to other sources this year!  :)  ) I knew Mitt Romney only because we share a religion and I knew he ran 4 years ago.

So as you can see my depth of knowledge about these candidates is extremely shallow.  I have always thought I was sort of on 'middle ground' as to being a Republican or democrat.  I took some online quizzes that are supposed to help you figure out what you are...and I was always floating around the middle...slightly favoring the republican side.  So, while talking to Daron and listening to things...I've picked up that Romney is sort of like that too...leans a little towards the left while still remaining mostly Republican.  So...I thought he would be my candidate.  I wanted to be sure that I wasn't voting for him purely because of the fact that he is LDS and so am I.  I've known lots of LDS people that I wouldn't even want my kids to be in the same room with, let alone run the nation.  So sharing a religion held no merit for me.  He does appear as thought he is a stand up guy...and I do like some of the things he's did when he was Governor. But...out of no where...I sort of find myself really liking Ron Paul...and he's WAY right winged!!!  It may be due to the fact that he could be identical twins with a guy a work with...and he seems like a cute grandpa!  But really... a lot of what he says makes sense to me!  So...maybe I'm not as middle ground as I thought I was!

But...anyway...I still don't know anything when it comes to all this...but I was excited to vote this morning.  Sort of makes me feel like I have a right to complain about things if they aren't doing what I think they should be doing...

5 comments:

mom said...

I am so proud of you! I can tell you gave it a lot of thought, and YEA for you trying to be fair and knowledgeable. I have had a lot of the same thoughts as you. Thanks for updating!

Kevin said...

Yuck indeed.

Though I do commend you for at least attempting to be better informed in order to vote.

tacy said...

maybe if you would skype with me we'd talk more often. You know how much I hate talking on the phone.
and what is up with the verification codes lately! I have to try it like three times before It'll let me post a comment because they ask me to read a blurry sentence!
Right now I'm supposed to type: tedisma essentsil...I think
NOPE
now i get to try thingemb oremble
NOPE
now i get to try thernean underes

mom said...

ditto to Tacy's comment about the verification code words...they are hard to read!

Jillian said...

So who'd ya vote for? ;P