10.13.2011

Getting my craft on...

This blog is dedicated to Jillian...cause I made a promise...and I don't like my pants being on fire (you know...from being a liar!)...

We bought a new coffee table and end table over the weekend and in order for it not to get ruined too quickly we decided we needed some coasters.  Daron wanted to buy some expensive sand stone coasters, and maybe someday we will.  But for now, I decided to make some coasters that I had seen on Pinterest.  

I have to say they were super easy and I think they turned out really really cute!



I made 12 coasters, 4 of them were Christmas oriented.  I was really excited cause now I could take a new coaster to my office!  I had been using one that my former roommate Whitney gave me that her sister made for her.  But, it often caused confusion because the girl who worked at my desk before me was Whitney, so people thought it was her coaster.  While I appreciate the loaner, I was excited to have one of my own!




To make them, all I did was get $ .14 white tiles from Home Depot.  The tiles were about 4x4.  I cut out some scrapbook paper into a square slightly smaller than the tile.  I put a layer of mod podge onto the tile, put the paper down on it, and then put another coat of mod podge on.  After it dried for a while I put another layer of mod podge on.  After all the modge podge was completely dried, I sprayed it was an acrylic sealer, so it makes it waterproof.  I did a few coasts of that, letting it dry for 20 minutes in between coats.  After they were completely dry, I glued the cork to the bottom of the tile.  You can use felt pads or plastic pads or a full sheet of felt, but Daron wanted nice cork bottoms.  The only thing that was difficult was the fact that I decided to use gorilla glue to glue the cork on.  Well, I forgot how much gorilla glue expands, so in the morning I had lots of foamed dried glue seeping out from under the cork.   After a mild tantrum on my part, Daron suggested I just cut off the excess with a razor blade, and that worked well. 


So, all in all they were super easy and really cheap.  The tiles were $ .14, I already had the glue and the paper.  The spray was about $7 but I had a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby where I got it.  Also the cork was $2.75 for 6 sheets, but I had a 40% coupon for those too. 


6 comments:

mom said...

They turned out really cute! I am a little confused, however. You said "the coasters were $2.75 for 6 sheets". . . I thought you made the coasters?

Katy Wilson said...

Dang...I meant the cork squares were $2.75 for 6... I'll fix it...

mom said...

Ok, that makes more sense. They would make a nice gift.

Alayna said...

Holy cow those are adorable! If only I used coasters. But maybe now is a good time to start!

Wilkerson Family said...

Super cute. I'll have to add those to the list of things I'd like to make. :)

Amanda said...

So cute. Dang pintrest... I have so many crafts turning around in my head. Have you tried the homemade modge podge? I saw it on pintrest but haven't had the guts to try it. I've never really used regular modge podge so I probably wouldn't be a good judge.