5.15.2010

out of my element...

So last night I went on a date to this super fancy restaurant called Ruth Chris. Here is how the night went...
First...he had the car valet parked...
Then we got to the restaurant where we gave them our name so they could look up our reservation cause you pretty much have to have a reservation I guess...(even though on the phone they told him they were busy and they would have to see if they had an open spot...the restaurant was more than halfway empty the whole time we were there)
Then the hostess sat us and asked if we'd like a black napkin so we didn't get white lint on any of our black clothes...(I know right...weird)
Then our waitress came and she asked us if we wanted anything to drink and I said water and I was promptly offered...get this...3 types of water. Some fancy name I couldn't understand...another fancy name that was a sparkling water...and then the house water. I got the house water and it was almost too watery for me...(kidding...it was fine).
Then I got to looking at the menu and I had to calculate how many hours of work it would take me to just order and appetizer or salad so I almost refused to pick anything because it was out of control.
Then he ordered us shrimp cocktail for an appetizer (which was SO DELICIOUS...it was 4 of the biggest shrimp I've ever seen and it cost more than most entrees I've ever ordered in my life)...then we both got ...oh crap...I can't remember what sort of steak it was...but let me tell you it was a PARTY IN MY MOUTH...when it came out the waitress says to hold up your napkins so the puddle of spattering butter on the plate doesn't get on your clothes.
So...it was a super good dinner...but I was a little out of my comfort zone to say the least. But I guess I better love it while it last since in a few weeks the fanciest thing I'll have is The Hawkeye if I'm feeling lucky...
17 days till we leave!!!!

10 comments:

Kathy N said...

WOW! I have only been in one restaurant like that in my life, and it wasn't on a date . . . my uncle took us. It was one of those that is so fancy, they greeted him by name as soon as we walked in the door, and the prices were not even listed on the menu. . . if you had to ask, you knew you couldn't afford it. I am glad you got to experience that.
I am counting the days!

Kathy N said...

P.S. I hope you didn't wear jeans and flip-flops!

Alanna said...

That is awesome! What a nice place to go! Bet you felt special!! The resturaunt looks very fancy! And black napkin...wow! :)

Lyd said...

Oh my gosh. I have only heard AMAZING things about Ruth Chris. Maybe someday I'll be so lucky as to go! Glad you had such a fun time! :D

Kevin said...

I need to find a guy to take me out to that place for dinner...

Sarah Harward said...

He must have been really wanting to impress you!! Ruth Chris is SUPER fancy!! I've never been, but my parents went once and my mom said that steak was to die for!! How fun!!!!

tacy said...

When you asked for the "house water" did he say, "ah, ah, ah, you didn't say the magic word!"

Jessie said...

That sounds way fun! But I would of probably felt just as out of my element as you!

Alayna said...

Ditto what Kevin said!

Who is this boy? And can I have him since you are leaving??

Wilkerson Family said...

Nice. Now you need to tell us about the guy that you went with. :)