5.06.2010

is there anyone who doesn't know this already...

I was re-reading through some old blogs from last year and I used to be a really cool blogger. I suck super bad at it lately...

Here is a blog that has been a long time coming. But...I doubt it is anything new to anyone...

About a month or two ago I was on the phone with my sister and she informed me that Marty Hopp was going to retire at the end of the year. Marty owns Hilltop Floral, where I did my internship during school. She then suggested that I move home and open a flower shop...I would have a corner on the market and be able to do something I've always like doing...

To make a really long story short....I'M DOING IT! I am moving home in 4 weeks. I will be working with Marty until the end of the year...and then hopefully sometime shortly after that I will open my own shop...with the help of Marty and family and anyone who would like to be an investor in my little idea!


My friend Stacie is going to move with me! She will be there for at least the summer...and depending on how the job search goes (she is waiting to hear back about a teaching position here in Chandler) she may stay longer!

Here is the cool thing about this plan. Quite a few weeks back when me and Stacie were trying to make a final decision about whether to stay in AZ or go to Illinois...we both came up with our main reasons why we shouldn't go.

Me:
1- My one and only reason for thinking I shouldn't go was my job. I really like my job! I like the people, I like what I do, I have insurance...it just didn't make sense for me to quit.

Stacie:
1-She didn't have a job here and was worried she wouldn't be able to come up with enough money to move and have some to live off of for a while in Illinois.
2-She was really worried about actually finding a job in Nauvoo once we got there.

Since then, Stacie has substitute taught almost every day for about 3 weeks (previously she was only doing once, maybe twice a week). And...she has 3 jobs lined up for when we get home! (can you live in Nauvoo and only have 1 job? I don't think so)

And...come to find out...this big contract my boss had with the City of Phoenix...the one that got put on hold for 6 weeks this winter resulting in me 'losing my job' for 6 weeks...Dave found out early last week that the City of Phoenix is backing out of the contract they had with us...and that project is going to be over at the end of July...so...odds are...I would of lost my job then anyway...or at least been cut back to part time...

I just think it is AMAZING that our 3 really only hesitations with moving to Nauvoo have now become obsolete...in just a matter of weeks!!

So that is the plan! I am SUPER excited and SUPER SUPER nervous about this new adventure...but I feel really good about it and hopefully it will all work out well...


13 comments:

tacy said...

they have a candle in the discount room at the mayfly that has that "greetings from illinois" picture on it, and for some reason I've always wanted to buy it. Every time I see it I have to resist the urge to buy it. weird? yes.
ps, i'm excited for you as well and I'm AMAZED that everything has worked out so well!

Sarah Harward said...

I'm super Super excited too!! 5 hours away is SOOOO much better!!

Kathy N said...

Isn't it amazing how He knows us and leads us toward the decisions we should make, even though we don't always realize we are being led. I can't begin to say how excited I am!

Nikki said...

Katy I am so excited that you are comming back for good! Your flower business will be a blooming sucess!! It is going to be one fun summer!! Cant wait to see ya!

Joanne said...

I'm so happy for you Katy! I think your flower buisiness will be awesome. Illinois is the place to be.

Alayna said...

Count me as one of the people who didn't already know this. What a shock! But I am happy for you. I feel bad that we never really hung out while you were here. You will be missed.

I am, however, happy to announce that the parentals and I are going to Nauvoo in October to do a temple session and to participate in the pumpkin walk {my first time!}. So excited! I will see you there!

Good luck with everything!!!

Jessie said...

I CAN"T WAIT!

Wilkerson Family said...

how exciting. Drew applied for a job in Keokuk (sp?). I'm not sure we have great odds of getting it, but we could be neighbors again :)

Laura said...

I only found out about this about a week ago and I am so super excited for you! Isn't it wonderful to know that we have someone who is looking out for us at all times and helps us work things out for our betterment.
I told Jason about your plans and told him I will be expecting him to support your business by getting me flowers on a more regular basis! Also I'm sure I have a daughter that would love to help you out when you get to that point!!

Curt, Charlene, Luke, Ty, Jake and Chase said...

So excited for you!!

Kurt and Courtney said...

That has to be the coolest thing I've ever heard. Katy, the flower shop lady. I want to come to Nauvoo just to experience the coolness of this plan. BTW, I don't think I've seen you in like an eternity. (You would know me as Courtney Darchuck.) :)

Lyd said...

That is SO fun for you!!! I'm sure you'll be great at it, seeing as how I always see you doing super cutie crafty things! And especially if you have a passion for it, you'll go far! I'm really excited for you. There will always be that step into the dark, but then there's usually always something illuminating that comes out of it. :) Hip hip!

A said...

I totally want to come work at your flower shop!