12.21.2009

The Decor...

Here is one of my most favorite things about coming home at Christmas time...our snowflake trees!! I have always taken picture of it...but they never turn out like I want them to...so I decided this year to take pictures of the whole process (since I was actually home for the whole process)

First...my dad cuts down some branches from outside and he brings them in and we get them placed in pots...
Then...my dad wraps the branches in white lights... (No Mom, Dad was not standing with one foot on a bench and one foot on a stool, neither of which he is supposed to be doing)


Then we take very realistic looking glass icicles and tie them to the branches. It is very painstaking cause you have to tie them close to the branch so it looks like a real icicle formed on a branch...
After the icicles goes the crystal stars and globes (but I didn't take pictures of that step)
Then, we tie on the snowflakes (and some other patterns too) to the branches...


And here are a few pictures of the finished product...


It really is cool...our who dining room feels like a (excuse the cheesiness) winter wonderland!
If you live close by you are more than welcome to come by and see it! My dad loves showing it all off!!
Here are a few other things I've thought to post about...

Tuna was sick for a few days, so I made her some toad in a hole for dinner one night (not that toad in a hole is a really good 'sick' dinner, but it's what she requested) The point is...I made it with a heart cut out...and it was cute...even though you can't really tell in the picture...

We also started making the Christmas cookies tonight. Tuna and Dad are the ones that do most of the baking...but I helped put the eyes and nose on the gingerbread bears...


(Also...don't forget to vote in my poll on the side...)

10 comments:

Alanna said...

I love love love your tree! That is so awesome!!! Wish I lived closer so I could experience the "winter wondrland."

Christensen Kids said...

That is pretty awesome! It is a really cool idea!! oh- and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

I love the snowflake trees. That is just gorgeous!

nikki said...

The Winter Wonderland in the dining room is awesome!! Too cool!!

Kevin said...

Both my Mom & Myself were impressed by this awesome display of sparkling craftiness.

Lyd said...

I love it!! So pretty!! I wish I could be there to see them. Cutie Nubbins! I love that dog...even if I have never met it. haha I swear, you're family is much to crafty. :)

Wilkerson Family said...

The trees are awesome.
I sent you a Christmas card to the nauvoo address I had for you.... It came back yesterday. LAME.

Lisa and Dan said...

Wow! Those tree branches look really neat!
I've never heard of 'toad in a hole'. That's a lot more creative than what we call it...eggs in a frame. You guys are just so creative(:

Jillian said...

Ummmm okay FIRST OFF I never knew this about your snowflake trees. They are absolutely AMAZING and your house looks SO COOL with them!!! I want to do that some year!! Kudos to the Nelson Clan :D

Also, I thought YOU swore off Christmas cookies.

SEEMS LIKE YOU DON'T MISS ME AT ALL... ;)

Unknown said...

It is way more amazing in person!!! I love seeing the process you all go through. You are the best treat makers I have ever seen. Hope your Christmas was WONDERFUL!!!!