7.06.2011

Gift giving...


I think I have always been a good gift giver.  I like getting people things!  Me and my sisters used to buy little surprises and treasures for each other all the time!  In fact, I just got a surprise package from my sisters the other day with a couple fun little treasures!  I also like giving birthday gifts and Christmas gifts!  I may have not been the smartest gift giver...i.e. the time I had Tacy close her eyes so I could try on the 'ring I was getting "JESSIE" for Christmas'..."It's for Jessie I swear, I just need to see if it fits you cause your fingers are the same size and I just don't want you to see her present"...I have never lived that one down!

But....since getting married...I have become the WORST PRESENT GETTER EVER IN EXISTENCE!  Just ask Daron!  His birthday was Oct 25th...what did I get him.  nothing.  We had been married for not even 3 weeks and I didn't get him one single thing for his birthday.  Not even a card. (But we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that day...so I get a tiny bit of an excuse)  Then Christmas...oh my gosh I had a mental breakdown over Christmas and then I ended up getting him the lamest thing ever.  Just recently Fathers Day, now I know he's not my dad or even the father of my children, but he is a dad and kind of important to me so you'd think I'd be able to get it together and get him something nice for Fathers Day.  Nope, I couldn't figure out what to get him!  

I think my biggest problem lies in the fact that he tracks every single penny that we spend at the end of every day.  And he gets a text message anytime we use the debit card if our account is under a certain amount! There have been times I've gone through the McDonalds drive through and before I even got to the second window to pick up the food he had called to ask me if I was enjoying my breakfast.  It's creepy sometimes!  So I feel like I can't spend a dime without him knowing how much and where I spent it, so therefore any surprise would be ruined for the most part.  Like, at Christmas I was going to (and did) get him an iPhone 4.  But it took major skills and sneakiness to do it, and he ended up figuring it out anyway.  I hate hate hate it when people know what they are getting as a gift from me.  Surprising is way more fun! 

Like I said earlier, I also like getting fun little "I saw this and thought of you" gifts...but I know that if were to get something like that for him he's look at it and think/say "Really...you spent three dollars on this piece of junk that reminds you of me, but I really don't want it so now it's just going to sit around and be annoying"...so I just don't get cute little gifts for him.

I sound like I'm ragging on Daron...but I don't mean to if I am.  He is  a GREAT gift giver...He got me super cool stuff for my birthday and Christmas and even for Mothers Day!  It just makes me so frustrated that I can't get it together and be a good gift giver in return!

My goal is to redeem myself this year...I have almost 4 full months to figure it out...so let's just hope I can get it together and become the gift giver I know I can be!

2 comments:

mom said...

Good Luck! I have never succeeded at that. I think men are just hard to buy for.

Tuna said...

I hope your secret cash stash piles up so you can have succeed in giving a surprise gift.